Thursday, August 19, 2010

A Little Scare

This is just an insight to all those parents who have younger children and are still learning how to child proof their house.

I woke up this morning to Austin in Dalyce's crib (which he goes there every morning) jumping on her bed! He had their toothpaste in hand in his mouth. I quickly took it out of his mouth and realized it was now empty. Obviously I know he ate the whole tube. I asked him if he gave any to Dalyce and he said that he did. So I came downstairs and was trying to decide what to do. I decided that just in case I should phone the health link and see what they say. They asked me a few questions and then transferred me to the poison centre. The guy asked me to double check to make sure there is no flouride in the toothpaste. In baby toothpaste there is no flouride because they can swallow it. The guy said there is nothing to worry about because there is no flouride. They might have a little bit of an upset stomach but other than that they will be fine.

So just to let all of you parents with younger children know that you really need to put everything that is unsafe for your child to touch or eat out of their reach and if you think that they might be able to reach it if they tried really hard, lock it up. Austin is able to open child proof bottles that you have to push down and turn. We had a bunch of medicine in the same cupboard of his toothpaste that he could've gotten into without us knowing, all of that stuff is now in a locked closet. Please learn from my little harmless mistake and not let a dangerous mistake happen to yourself!

1 comment:

  1. I would like to add two other quick lessons, on learned the hard way.
    1. Turn down your hot water temp. A friend of mine from work had her daughter climb into their bathtub and turn on the hot water. Mom was vacuuming and did not notice or hear her 2 year old sneak away or screaming in pain. This poor little girl spent months in hospital with sever burns from her hips down as she could not get out of the tub. I cannot remember the safe temperature of the hot water in your house, but I am sure this can be googled easily. I would like to add Austin was with me in the bathroom at my house shortly after this awful event occurred and he too tried to play with the taps. He was not successful at turning them, but I caught him right away so I am sure he could have.
    2. Do not let your child near the chlorine dispenser in a hot tub. You might recall Logan taking a big sniff of this and me calling the poison center on this. Chlorine can cause severe lung problems for anyone.

    ReplyDelete